About this Program
Evolving an integrated mental health and addictions focus for Scarborough residents was a priority in our 2017-2022 strategic plan. Outcomes included:
Improved access to mental health and addictions services
Improved mental health and well-being among clients
SCHC has mental health services embedded in many of our program areas including:
- Social workers in our Community Health Centres and Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Centre
- Mental health caseworkers in our IPPC program and LEPP program
- Harm reduction outreach through our Mobile Health Van
- Health promotion of Mindfulness and other preventative programs for seniors, youth, and families.
- Specialized mental health programming for individuals with dementia in our Adult Day Centre
STRIDES and Youth Mental Health
Youth Wellness Hubs Ontario (YWHO) aims to improve access and services for individuals ages 12 to 25, where they can receive services through a “one-stop-shop” mental health, substance use, employment, housing, as well as other health supports. SCHC is partnering with Strides Toronto, the lead agency for Youth Wellness Hubs in Scarborough and Toronto East, to provide youth with a holistic and anti-oppressive model of care. SCHC’s YWHO’s Care Coordinator serves as a support and advocates for rapid access, and early intervention, and also provides low-barrier and clear service pathways to one’s needs, meeting long, and short-term goals.